Thursday, June 17, 2010

Soundtracks of life

Soundtrack of my life

I have to admit I got a little misty-eyed this morning as I prepared a playlist for our annual Freedom Festival extravaganza. Starting in the “A’s” I worked through my library of music from the last few decades carefully choosing songs to fit the family atmosphere of the day. I was moving along nicely until I reached the “D’s”. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I’ve been a follower and fan of the modern worship band Delirious? since my early CFNI days as soon as their history-making sounds reached this side of the Atlantic Ocean. As I worked my way through album after album, I couldn’t help but revisit and relive moments of my life that are so closely associated with nearly every song this band has ever recorded.

• Long ago memories of the Back Porch Band (our youth band) in Solomon’s Porch having nights of worship that lasted for 3 and a half hours but felt like just one, playing songs like I Found Jesus, The Crucible For Silver, The Happy Song, Find Me In The River, Deeper, My Glorious….
• The van rides deep into Mexico playing the King of Fools album over and over.
• The train ride from England to Germany along with dear friends Mark, David, and Daniel Elam while exploring the sonic wonders of Audio Lessonover.
• Timeless songs of worship we still use in services and nights of worship like Did You Feel The Mountains Tremble, I Could Sing Of Your Love Forever, What A Friend I’ve Found, Our God Reigns, and even History Maker, which we’ll be leading tonight for VBS!

Of course, these are just a few.

Years ago the phrase “Soundtracks of Life” stuck with me as I identified certain songs bands, and albums that would seem to stick with me and play over and over in my head throughout certain seasons of my life. I know I’m not the only one who experiences this. Sometimes just the right song pops into your head bringing encouragement and uplifting to your spirit in the midst of a struggle or pain. I fully believe just as the Holy Spirit will bring scriptures to mind that strengthen our spirit, He also brings to mind songs of hope to restore our soul. Many albums, artists, and songs have done this for me throughout my life, but none as impacting, convicting, encouraging, and life-changing as the songs and albums of Delirious?. I could elaborate for hours on what made them a great band, why the songs are so meaningful, etc., but that’s not the point. From the very beginning, this band was true to their calling, obedient to the Father, led by the Holy Spirit, and passionate about reaching our generation with the message of Truth and God’s love. Doing a quick Wikipedia search will testify of God’s favor over this band and the impact they’ve made in Christian music as well as the mainstream.

For almost exactly half of my lifetime I have been, and will surely continue to be, inspired by Delirious? They creatively and passionately pointed us to Jesus for 17 years and will always remain part of the soundtrack of my life.

Now back to that playlist I was working on...


“Lead me to the cross where we first met, draw me to my knees so we can talk; let me feel Your breath, let me know You’re here with me…”

“What a friend I’ve found, closer than a brother, I have felt Your touch, more intimate than lover….Jesus….friend forever”

“Jesus blood never fails me…”

4 comments:

  1. Retitle this to Ode to Delirious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason...you're right! I really probably should have. I keep thinking, though, of all the other "soundtracks of my life" and I'm pretty sure I'll be pontificating about them at some future time....So maybe it'll be a part 1, part 2 thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its a good point you made about how the Holy Spirit brings songs to mind just like scriptures. Happens to me all the time. This one could be the start of a series, and so if it is then you should keep the title. If not, I agree with Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those days well Ben! Miss them every day to.

    ReplyDelete